The greatest possible safety on Austria's roads is a declared goal of ASFINAG. This also applies to tunnels.
"When driving through the tunnel, our customers should feel safe and be safe"
, says ASFINAG.
ASFINAG operates 164 tunnels and approximately 2,200-kilometre road network. Since the year 2000, four billion euros have been invested in safety measures in ASFINAG´s tunnels. A further 1.5 billion euros will be spent by 2019, to make sure that the tunnels will be equipped with the latest safety technology. User awareness is another essential element of the safety package. The campaign "Eyes on the Tunnel" is intended to make all drivers aware of important safety issues for tunnels. There are several key messages in this campaign.
Behaviour before the entrance into the tunnel:
- Do not drive in at the red traffic lights
- Observe the speed restrictions
- Remove sunglasses
- Switch on lights
- Close the window
- Turn ventilation on circulating air
- Turn on radio (traffic messages)
Behaviour in the tunnel:
- Observe the speed limit
- Keep the safety distance of at least two seconds
Behavior in case of a breakdown in the tunnel
- Keep Calm
- Go to the nearest lay-by (these can be found every 1,000 meters)
- Turn on hazard warning system in the vehicle to warn about stop of the vehicle
- Use a warning vest
- Go to emergency telephone (do not call with the mobile phone).
When the Traffic Control Centre are aware of the situation the maximum speed in the tunnel is automatically reduced for other vehicles.
Behaviour in emergency situations in the tunnel:
- Keep calm
- Stay in the car as long as no other instructions come
- A member of the ASFINAG staff gives instructions on the radio.
- When leaving the vehicle - Leave the key and go towards the nearest escape route
Reference: ASFINAG, Austria