The World Road Association (PIARC)'s Technical Committee D.5 "Road Tunnel Operations" organized this International Seminar on "Road Tunnels in Low and Medium Income Countries" in cooperation with South African National Roads Agency (SANRAL).
The seminar address both technical and management issues broadly based on the following topics:
- Best international design standards/technology
- Safety standards for tunnel operations
- Balancing safety and costs in maintenance
- Incident detention mechanisms
- Hazard and dangerous goods in tunnel
- Cost benefit analysis/studies
- Optimising operating costs
- Funding options for low and medium income countries
- Tunnel construction methods
The seminar was successful says both Mr. Marc Tesson, the president The World Road Association (PIARC)'s Technical Committee D.5 "Road Tunnel Operations" and Mr. J C van der Walt, SANRAL Regional Manager from the South African National Roads Agency.
In conjunction with the seminar, PIARC's Technical Committee D.5 held its fourth meeting. The PIARC experts works with relevant road tunnel operation topics, and the work and reports will be presented in the World Road Congress in Abu Dhabi in 2019.
Read more about the seminar (read more)
Read more about the case study (read more)