RAMS in focus at safety conference
Among other topics, The NTSC will present the Norwegian Tunnel Safety Standard project that focus on development, improvement and standardization of methods and technologies that have an impact on road tunnel operations and safety.
This is the most important event this year for all of us interested in Norwegian tunnel projects and initiatives.
In Norway we have seen that tunnel construction and installations have often major weaknesses that affect reliability, availability, maintainability and safety of tunnels. It is important to apply new research, best practices and new technologies, and Norwegian Tunnel Safety Cluster will facilitate research, development and improve how we build and operate tunnels, and most important of all share results in innovative ways.
We know that tunnels with weaknesses largely affect costs, lifespan of construction and installations, and in many cases give high socio-economic costs in terms of more frequent shutdowns and less available road network. In addition, weaknesses could significantly affect safety.
The Norwegian Tunnel Safety Cluster (NTSC) will organise 10 resource groups with participants from all across the the industry, including participants from the authorities and other national and international stakeholders. The resource groups will seek best practice, develop standards/guidelines, perform Reliability, Availability, Maintainability and Safety (RAMS) assessments and Health, Environment and Safety (HES) assessments to make sure the operation perspective is taken well care of.
The aim of the standardization work is to develop an innovative and sustainable network for the improvement and development of standards, and through this work contribute to improving tunnel safety nationally and internationally.
A part of the work is to:
- Seek best practice, new knowledge and new technology nationally and internationally.
- Create a prelimenary specification of the standard, for assessments and further consultation with the industry.
- Conduct assessment of reliability, availability, maintainability and infrastructure safety (RAMS), Life Cycle Cost (LCC) and risk assessments, in addition to Health, Environment and Safety (HSE) Assessments.
- Perform a consultation and adaptation process that includes national and international stakeholders in the industry, and authorities.
- Complete the standard, with necessary adjustments to 3D and BIM, and facilitate approval and presentation in the Norwegian Tunnel Safety Center and in Virtual Reality (VR tunnel).
- Facilitate approval and implementation at authorities, organizations, and other stakeholders in the industry.
The 10 resource groups, planning, analysis and execution (4 groups) and construction and installation (6 Groups) includes:
- Assessments in planning, design and construction
- Tunnel management and preparedness planning
- Operation and maintenance
- BIM Standard and digital collaboration
- Construction elements
- Electrical infrastructure
- Control, Monitoring and ITS
- Lighting, signs and markings
- Safety Equipment
Read more about the event: http://ntsc2018.no